KK Security Limited (KKSL) provides manned guarding services, canine security, facilities management, cash management, global travel risk management and training to clients throughout East and Central Africa. In 2016, they were acquired by GardaWorld (GW), the world’s largest privately owned security company. They now form an integral part of GardaWorld’s African network.
KK Security maintains a reputation of integrity, diligence and professionalism that remains unmatched across Africa. For over 50 years, they have delivered tailored security solutions to clients using their expertly trained and skilled staff.
KK Security operates within 7 countries and is headquartered from Nairobi. ?
Contact and Cooperation
Internally: Main cooperation with the Managing Director, Business Unit Heads and Heads of Support functions/ Departments
Externally: HR Consultants, Legal Advisors, Government officials and agencies, Unions, Federation of Kenya Employers, Professional Associations
The Human Resources Manager is tasked with ensuring that the company has optimal numbers of human resources that it requires to deliver its goals in respect to numbers and capability; that such staff are properly vetted on recruitment, are delivering to the required standards and that the policies and processes that are used to manage such staff are in line with best practice, promote staff motivation and performance and are in line with legal requirements.
Based in Nairobi, the Human Resource Manager will report directly to the Managing Director, and will have the Talent Manager, Employee Relations Manager and Senior HR Officer reporting to them.
- Put in place HR strategies and plans that are aligned to and support the achievement of KKSL strategic goals.
- Develop, implement and communicate HR management policies and procedures that reflect GW standards and culture, train managers and supervisory staff on their application and revise them as necessary to ensure continued compliance with statutory requirements.
- Monitor all HR activities and practices to ensure compliance with statutory requirements and company policies.
- Manage and support vetting, selection and recruitment of staff and work closely with the Managing Director Kenya, heads of Department and line managers to identify and define vacancies and suitably qualified staff to fill these.
- Effectively manage service providers including agents, consultants providing HR related services, to ensure that the company is provided with optimal services and value for money.
- Ensure that all staff are contracted as per company policy and monitor to ensure timely end of probation confirmations and renewals of contracts where applicable. Develop and oversee the implementation of a comprehensive induction and orientation programme for all new staff.
- Develop effective and competitive compensation and benefits structures to attract and retain staff. Ensure alignment of employee reward to performance.
- Drive the development of a high performing culture within KKSL by ensuring timely completion of goal setting, bi-annual reviews and annual appraisals. Ensure optimal feedback processes and performance improvement planning.
- Manage disciplinary issues in line with the provisions of the Employment Act and company policy and ensure fairness and transparency, thus minimising instances of litigation.
- Drive grievance resolution and ensure that all pertinent issues are addressed in a fair, confidential and transparent manner where possible without becoming a legal issue. Where disputes become legal issues supporting the cases with timely provision of information to lawyers as appropriate.
- Develop, career development and succession plans that address the current and future business requirements of KKSL and offer returns on investment.
- Facilitate employee learning and development by assessing capability, identifying gaps and designing training interventions to redress them. Expected to identify business, department and individual needs and develop and roll out the training calendar activities as required.
- Put in place employee welfare programs that ensure the general well-being of staff and ensure that staff are focused and supported to deliver in line with expectation.
- Put in place systems for managing staff records, including personal data, annual leave and off days, sick leave etc, ensuring that these are kept up to date and adhere to relevant statutory and regulatory requirements.
- Ensuring existence of harmonized Industrial Relations and act as the key point of contact with the Trade Unions. Coordination with key government agencies for employment perspective and liaising with government bodies to ensure successful running of labour matters.
- Administer insured staff benefits schemes including medical schemes, pension schemes, Group Personal Accident/WIBA, etc.
- Manage staff capacity and skill levels within the HR management department to meet current and planned outputs.
- Implement and monitor performance management programs and support departmental staff through training, mentorship and coaching.
Principal Outputs of this Role
- HR policies, systems and processes.
- Excellent industrial relations.
- Competitive Compensation and Benefits schemes.
- Learning and development systems and plans that optimise employee capability.
- HR Reports for management review and decision making.
- Collective Bargaining Agreements that ensure competitive pay levels.
- Cost effective employee welfare programmes that motivate staff.
The Human Resources Manager is accountable to the Managing Director- Kenya for the responsibilities stated in this job description. These responsibilities will be monitored and managed through the mid-year and annual performance review and supported through the monitoring of KPIs.
- Strong leadership skills with hands-on capability and management style.
- Planning, coordination, work monitoring and problem resolution skills.
- Demonstrate a high degree of sensitivity, confidentiality when dealing with internal and external customers.
- Results oriented with excellent negotiation, interpersonal, communication and social skills.
- A forward planner with clear focus, ardent team player and able to work with remote supervision in a diverse environment.
- Good decision making skills with a sense of diplomacy, attention for detail and strong analytical ability.
- Business acumen, strategic thinker with ability to make sound decisions for the business.
- Have good problem analysis and reporting skills.
- High moral standing with impeccable integrity.
- Ability to grow, support and develop talent within the department.
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in Human resources, Social Sciences, General Management or Business Administration.
- Higher National Diploma in Human Resources Management; Member of the IHRM Kenya.
- At least 10 years’ experience in Human Resources Management.
- Technical skills in most if not all aspects of human resource management with a focus on Recruitment and Selection, Learning and Development, Performance Management, Compensation and Benefits, HR Policies.
- Solid expertise of industrial relations management and experience of working in labour intensive and unionised environments.
- Knowledge and working experience with Kenyan Labour laws.