Weld-Con Limited is a leading provider of Engineering, Procurement and Construction (EPC) solutions and proven technologies in the fields of Oil and Gas, Power Generation, Mining, and Steel Construction in East and Central Africa.
Established in 1986 as a Mechanical Contracting company to serve the Oil Industry in Kenya, it has grown steadily in its operations through the years in the region. Weld-Con specializes in the construction of pipelines, storage, processing and transportation facilities for liquid petroleum products, LPG storage, and natural gas handling facilities. Away from the Oil and Gas Industry, Weld-Con also undertakes projects for construction of storage and handling facilities for other bulk liquids like edible oils, projects in heavy structural steel fabrication, power generation and plant erection.
Weld-Con has its headquarters and main fabrication workshop in Mombasa, Kenya. It also has registered offices and fabrication yards in Kampala Uganda and Dar Es Salaam Tanzania. These locations are strategic in providing timely and cost effective solutions to its clients in the East and Central Africa Region. The company operates with highly sophisticated and modern equipment in its workshops and project sites, including a comprehensive assortment of lifting and transportation equipment (all terrain cranes of various sizes up to 140 tons, heavy duty and light duty transport trucks), manual and automatic systems, compressors, etc.
Weld-Con have a highly qualified/skilled workforce, that are supported by a strong team of able professional managers with vast knowledge and experience in executing multi-million dollar projects within the Oil and Gas, Power Plants and Mining industries.
Ensuring the health and safety of their employees, customers and the public is a core value for the company. Weld-Con uphold this value in the same way that they ensure the highest quality standards of their work; by strict adherence to laid down procedures and implementing rigorous controls through every phase of their projects. They also ensure that their performance is in compliance with all applicable safety and environmental regulations. Weld-Con’s performance in the areas of quality and safety has garnered recognition and awards from a number of its clients.
The company is certified to ISO 9001:2008, ISO 14001:2015 and OHSAS 18001:2007 international standards. These certificates reinforce its commitment to the highest quality standards of work, safety excellence, and environmental protection, as well as being critical tools it uses to enhance efficiency and provision of competitive advantage in the market.
Weld-Con maintains a long list of repeat clients who also serve as a strong source of referrals, attesting to the quality of work and service the company delivers. Some of these clients include Vivo (Shell) Energy Kenya Ltd. and Vivo Energy Uganda Ltd. (oil and gas), Total Kenya Ltd. and Total Uganda Ltd. (oil and gas), Tanzania Ports Authority (pipeline construction), Base Titanium (Kenya; heavy steel fabrication), Pwani Oil (Kenya; bulk liquids storage and heavy steel fabrication), Kenya Airports Authority (jet fuels pipelines and hydrant systems), RandGold Resources (DRC; oil storage and power plants), Burmeister and Wain Scandinavian Contractors (power plants), Toyo Engineering Corporation (heavy steel fabrication and erection), Puma Energy (Tanzania; Oil and Gas), and (East African Storage Ltd. (bulk liquids storage).
The Company recognizes the opportunities that exist in the Region, especially in the Oil and Gas sector, but also wishes to be acknowledged as the preferred partner for clients across the Region in line with its vision. Weld-Con are seeking to increase their brand visibility, look for opportunities in other industries, and expand their international presence.
Reporting to the Managing Director/Operations Director, the General Manager will be tasked with managing and maintaining the Company’s organization structure for provision of timely and cost effective solutions to Clients’ needs. You will also be required to;
- Manage day to day running of the organization and ensure projects are moving smoothly.
- Head the estimations and engineering activities of the organization.
- Manage project costs and budgets.
- Manage execution of projects from award, and monitor up to completion/commissioning.
- Identify and meet with potential clients to sell the company’s services.
- Senior staff recruitment and management.
- Heading estimations for bids within East and Central Africa.
- Monitoring of the Company’s compliance to budget and other key performance indicators (EHS, QA/QC).
- Monitoring of all projects from award stage to commissioning stage.
- Detailed project tracking/monitoring and reporting to submit to Directors.
- Heading project execution from point of award.
- Heading estimations works within the organization. Using known methods and developing new methods for estimations work. Developing rates for man hours per ton etc. All estimations will then be checked off by the MD or OD for submission. Preparation of prequalification documents for bids.
- Provision of support to the budget preparation and implementation processes for projects.
- Provision of support to projects’ execution. This includes international recruitment of personnel, developing man power and equipment histograms/lists & site organograms. Regular site visits will be expected to monitor project progress.
- Networking as necessary to help the Company with its quest for new business opportunities. Business development throughout the region.
- Coaching and mentoring Senior Staff.
- Development and implementation of new fabrication technologies to expand Weld-Con’s product range and increase efficiency in production.
- Clients and their external Consultants; Potential business opportunities, clarification of projects’ specifications and other general requirements, etc.
- Senior Management (MD, FD, OD); Decision making and progress reporting.
- Project Managers; Project Managers/QAQC Manager/ HSE Manager will be reporting directly to this position.
Academic and Experience
- Degree in Mechanical/Civil Engineering.
- Minimum experience of 10 years in management, which includes, Project Management, Management of large scale operations and engineering design.
- Computer literate.
- Familiar with various steel fabrication codes (API, ASME, BS, ASTM, EN)
- Familiar with various NDT requirements (RT, DPT, MPI, UT etc).
- Attention to detail and accuracy.
- Planning and organizing.
- Strategic thinking.
- Strong communication skills.
- Information and task monitoring.
- Problem identification and analysis.
- Judgment and problem-solving.
- Supervisory skills.